MURRAY – American Legion Post 73 of Murray will conduct commemorative ceremonies Monday, May 25, at cemeteries in Calloway County and at the post’s Veterans’ Hall.
The schedule is as follows:
• 8:30 a.m. - The Honor Guard will assemble at Post 73 to secure equipment for cemetery tour.
• 9:10 a.m. - The Honor Guard will board the bus and arrive at Elm Grove Cemetery.
• 9:30 a.m. - Ceremony at Elm Grove Cemetery.
• 10:10 a.m. - Ceremony at Coldwater Church of Christ Cemetery.
• 10:30 a.m. - Ceremony at Billy Lane Lauffer gravesite in Murray Memorial Gardens.
• 10:50 a.m. - Ceremony at Murray City Cemetery.
• 11:20 a.m. - Ceremony at Post 73.
“The Honor Guard will be at Post 73 for ceremonies to honor the members of the post that have died in the past year,” said Mark Kennedy. “The ceremony will commence at 12:15 p.m. but, unlike past years, it will be held outside and there will be no reception, food or indoor activities.”
In the event of rain, the tour will be canceled, especially if lightning is in the area. Each ceremony will consist of a prayer, a three-volley rifle salute and the playing of TAPS. At Murray Memorial Gardens, a cross and wreath will be placed along with a Medal of Honor flag at the Billy Lane Lauffer gravesite. At Post 73, there will be three crosses for members who have died since last Memorial Day and a cross and wreath, along with a Medal of Honor flag in memory of Billy Lane Lauffer will be placed. Also, recognition of commemorative bricks will be made and they will be placed in the Memorial Garden.
The public and all veterans are invited to attend the ceremonies at any of the cemeteries or at the hall which is at 310 Bee Creek Drive.